First, the 800 lb. gorilla in the room--yes, I know I have completely neglected this website. Neglected it to the point that this is the first article I've posted in over a year. My bad. Mea Culpa. You get what you pay for. Truth of the matter is that most of my creative energies have gone towards my radio show/podcast on TFR Live over the last year (Every Sunday night at 10:00 PM CST...shameless plug!!!) Hence, my dedication to the written word hasn't been there as I'd like. I hope to change that through 2022.
Now, to the point of this article--over the last week (and coinciding with Martin Luther King's birthday), you have seen Democrats and Leftists pushing a Voter Fraud bill through Congress...ok...ok...so we're supposed to refer to it as a "Voting Rights" bill, even though everybody knows that the bill has nothing to do with actual voting rights...and in doing so, they have constantly referred to America's "democracy". You have heard them refer to "protecting democracy"...you have heard Democrats refer to Republican efforts to block the bill as an "attack on democracy". To put it bluntly, you have been hearing the word "democracy" come out of the mouths of Democrats so much as of late that--if you didn't know any better--you might actually think that the United States is a democracy, if you didn't know any better.
We aren't...and we were never intended to be one or become one.
A simple glance at how Founding Fathers, early political leaders, and others of importance at the time of our Founding spoke in reference to "democracy" reveals that many of them did not consider the concept to be a "given" the way that so many in modern times do. Hell, you can see by their own words that they were downright hostile towards the concept of democracy...and rightfully so. A few examples:
"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide."--John Adams
"The evils we experience flow from the excess of democracy. The people do not want virtue, but are the dupes of pretended patriots."--Elbridge Gerry
"A simple democracy is the devil's own government."--Benjamin Rush
"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths."--James Madison
And these were not just hollow words--as our Constitution was being debated, written, re-written, debated some more, and then went through the ratification process among the thirteen states, great pains were taken at all levels to make certain that America would not be a democracy. The Electoral College and Senators being selected by the states instead of direct election (something, IMO, we should return back to) were two of the more famous provisions put into our form of government in order to protect our fledgling nation from the horrors of democracy--horrors that they knew only too well, and which, in their wisdom, they endeavored to protect our new nation from.
Over the years, as a culture, America has mistakenly and wrongly deified the concept of democracy...and that deification has become so pronounced that a great many Americans (of all political stripes) actually believe that the United States is a democracy, and moreover that the concept of democracy is universally good. Leftists today are taking advantage of that cultural misunderstanding in an attempt to wrongly sway people into supporting voting laws that will only bring great harm to our nation...to say nothing of invalidating the votes of good, normal, legitimate voters who go to the polls today. But despite the misguided good feelings that go along with hearing the word "democracy" in our country, Leftists are pushing a historically inaccurate, sociologically harmful vision of what America has always been, and what they believe it should become.
Remember, in an actual democracy, 51% of the population can have the other 49% shipped off to concentration camps, executed, and God only knows what else. Our Founders and our early leaders wanted no part of such a travesty...but the Leftists of today are openly pushing for it. It's time to stand up against their false characterization of our history and our culture...and to challenge them on the very concept of "democracy". Invoking "democracy" as a way to rally support behind a piece of legislation or a vision of America's future is nothing more than a bald-faced lie. But further more, pushing "democracy" as any sort of blueprint for our lives is tantamount to collective suicide. And it's time to say as much to these radical Leftists every time they try to push the God-forsaken concept of "democracy".